Thursday, December 4, 2008

Generational Differences in Transparency: Wisdom of Crowds

I went to a marketing roundtable group for the first time this morning with about 7 people who meet once a month (a good friend of mine has been getting a lot out of it in this last year and she invited me). I would say most of them were Baby Boomers and a couple GenXers. The leader was a Baby Boomer. Someone brought up using YouTube Videos as a marketing tool. I just so happened to have my mini video camera (a hybrid videocamera and webcam) that makes it easy to carry everywhere, take spontaneous video, audio or pics that then can be uploaded easily to YouTube. I told everyone about it and how easy it would be to start using YouTube.

Unfortunately, the first thing out of the leader's mouth was, "I just don't want to share all my personal stuff with everybody". I am not sure how she made the leap from what I said with using a minivideo camera and YouTube to her personal information being shared, but this is a typical response from her generation.

I believe without any scientific evidence that this transparency of our personal lives and the mixing with personal and business is a major shift we are experiencing that most Baby Boomers/Veterans do not like or get! Most Generation Y and some Generation X are pretty public and don't care as much.

When I talk about in my Virtual Training seminars and workshop with trainers and managers about using Web 2.0 applications (like YouTube, Blogs, Facebook, etc....) many Baby Boomers have heavy sighs and then voice their worry over security and proprietary information.

Fortunately (yet unfortunate for Baby Boomers) we are moving past being so private, secure, non sharing to more sharing, collaborating and creating across companies, entities, countries, groups etc... which is going to make us smarter, better at what we do. But most Baby Boomers will be kicking and screaming all the way.

You can check out my Google Doc that I am sharing with everybody on Web 2.0 and Knowledge Management. In this online presentation I also discuss the Wisdom of Crowd book which reiterates what I am ranting about.

Please do the poll on this blog so we can see who has visited and make a comment.

No comments: